Skip to main content

something from the archives: say goodbye - part 49

as loose ends get tied up, catch up from the beginning at the links: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930,  3132333435363738394041424344454647, and 48.

part 49 continues after the jump...





Part 49

They assembled in Max’s room quietly. Michael and Liz stretched his body out on his bed, and Isabel set to work soundproofing the room. They stared at each other shell-shocked, stunned. They still couldn’t figure out what happened.

Kyle helped seat his father at Max’s desk and watched as Liz gently brushed Max’s hair off his face. They both saw the letter propped up against the lamp on his night table.

“Michael,” Liz whispered.

“Yeah?”

“He left something for you,” Michael glanced at her sharply and looked at where she was pointing. With shaking hands he took the envelope and tore it open.

Isabel seated herself on the bed, “Read it aloud.”

The others nodded as they settled themselves; Kyle perched on the desk, Liz on the floor her back propped against the bed, and Michael on the windowsill.

Michael cleared his throat and began reading:

Michael—

I know that my decision will be hardest for you to accept. That you will want to blame yourself for not stopping me. That you will hurt because I didn’t warn you. That you will think I was shutting you out of making a decision. Well don’t.

Don’t blame yourself. This is not your fault. None of this is.

I wanted to warn you. I wanted to talk to you the way we used to when you’d sleep on the floor of my bedroom. Or when we’d shoot hoops on the basketball court. But if I warned you, I knew you wouldn’t accept it. You wouldn’t allow me to do this. And I had to.

I didn’t shut you out on purpose. But it was my decision to make. And you guys were worth it.

I know you guys feel lost. But I’d felt lost for such a long time. And then I read Alex’s letter to me. He warned me that I’d have to make a choice. I’ve enclosed his letter to me so that you could understand why or at least gain some insight.

I know the biggest question in the room is: what do we do now? I wish I could tell you what to do, I think it might have something to do with my controlling nature, but I can’t.

I do have several ideas that I’d like to share with you.

Tell my parents the truth.

Or fake my suicide. At least that’s a half-truth.

Or lie. Say I ran away. 

The choice is yours. I left behind letters for each of those options. 

Michael, you’ve been a wonderful friend. We may not have always seen eye to eye, but since when is that important. You were the one person to always call me on my shit. And as much as I complained, I was better for it. I want you to be happy. With Liz by your side I know you will be. I know you will share this amazing life together, and I hope that once in a while you think of me. 

You’re in charge now, and I’m pretty sure you’re pissed at me cause now you don’t want it. But Michael, trust me, you are the right man for the job. 

You’ve been my best friend for two lifetimes. In this one you’ve been more than that, you’ve been my brother.  

Please tell Isabel that I love her. That she’s been an amazing sister, and that I’m sorry I’ve been such a pain in the ass all these years. She’s stronger than she thinks she is. 

Tell Kyle that he better treat my big sister right. They make an amazing couple, and there really is no one better for her.

Tell Jim not to blame himself. That he has helped us more ways than we can ever repay him. He’s been a great person to have on our side. 

Tell Maria that she was an amazing friend. I’m sorry we tangled her up in this mess. I hope she follows her dreams. She’d be an awesome rock star.

Tell my parents I love them. That without them life would have been a whole lot scarier. Their love, their concern, their patience, their generosity in opening their heart and home to two kids they found walking in the desert, meant more to me than they’ll ever know.

And finally tell Liz I love her. That I always will.

Be happy. Both of you.

All of you.

All my love,

Max

“Is that it?” asked Liz breaking the silence that punctuated the end of the letter.

“Yeah, well here’s Alex’s letter to him. I can read that if you guys want.”

“Please Michael,” Isabel requested, “I need to understand.”

Michael nodded before unfolding the worn printout and reading:

Max—

By now you know you’ve been tricked.

By now you know that nothing is as you thought it should be.

And I know that this is hard for you to accept.

Thank you for trusting me with your secret. Thank you for being a friend and for trying to save me when it was too late. 

I know that for a while you weren’t yourself. Please don’t blame yourself, it was all Tess. There was no way to protect us from her. Please know that when you believed in her you were really doing the right thing. She wasn’t deserving of the chance, but that is her own fault, not yours.

Max, I wish I had good news. I wish I could tell you that love and happiness and joy were all around the corner. 

But Liz is with Michael. And that’s where she belongs. You know that.

And what the future holds is harsh.

You will be faced with a terrible decision. Both of them lead to death. I know this from the Destiny Book. The reason I’m telling you this, is because in the end I believe it’s better if you know your options. 

Kivar will come to Earth, he will take on a form you will not be able to fight. And either he will kill all of you, or you give him what he wants. What he’s always wanted. The Royal Seal.

To do that, you must sacrifice yourself. 

I wish the words I were writing were different. I wish that I could tell you happy things. But I need to be sure that my death wasn’t in vain. You have to do that for the both of us.

Good Luck Max.

I’m behind you all the way.

Alex

They looked at Michael when he finished reading. Tears streaking their faces. There were no words. There was nothing they could say. In the end Max had chosen to save them. Who were they to say anything but thank you? How could they do that when all they wanted was to see him laugh and tell them it was all just a horrible joke?

But it wasn’t.

Everything was all too real.

Their only choice was to accept it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

simply catching up on all things general hospital

hmmm, it's been months since i've blogged about gh . partly this is due to the fact that i fell behind while i was traveling. partly because all the outrage lapsed into disinterest when i realized i couldn't bring myself to care anymore and everything that was happening was just so trite and boring. some days i still feel that way. and there are still whole storylines that i either hate or just fast forward through. but there are some good things too. in no particular order, here are my thoughts on the goings-on in port charles: 1. soras [and why re-casting roles works on soaps even if you do miss the original actors]: the new, older versions of sonny's kids are turning out to be quite enjoyable. [although hilariously, cameron whom i believe is older than molly is now younger. and because cameron is so cute, i'm kind of hoping they won't fix that. we also haven't seen spencer in ages, so he may be approaching 50.] in any case, at this point we've only s

genre debate: urban fantasy versus epic fantasy: team epic gets their say

Team Epic: Why I Love Epic Fantasy! Since it's my blog, I'll go first: Epic fantasies take you on quests that take you beyond the limits of what is real. The rules can be different, they are different, and everything just matters more. It's not just one life at stake, it's lives, it's a whole world, a whole way of being. Epic fantasies force you to use your imagination and take you on an adventure to places you never thought possible, but as different as everything feels, there are still things that are always real, no matter how you write it. Keep reading to see what a handful of Entangled TEEN authors think about epic fantasies: Erica Cameron - Island of Exiles (The Ryogan Chronicles, #1): Why do I love epic fantasy? It's a blank slate. We can erase all of our preconceived notions of society and law and even science, throwing all of that over the side of a cliff. Epic fantasy lets us push humanity well past the breaking point with ever

simply a preview of the forbidden by jodi ellen malpas

Releasing on August 8, 2017, read on for more information about The Forbidden , including an excerpt and giveaway! Synopsis What do you do when you can't control your feelings for someone? When you know you shouldn't go there? Not even in your head.  Annie has never experienced the 'spark' with a guy-the kind of instant chemistry that steals your breath and blindsides you completely. Until a night out with friends brings her face to face with the wickedly sexy and mysterious Jack. It's not just a spark that ignites between them. It's an explosion. Jack promises to consume Annie, and he fully delivers on that promise. Overwhelmed by the intensity of their one night together, Annie slips out of their hotel room. She is certain that a man who's had such a powerful impact on her and who could bend her to his will so easily, must be dangerous. But she's already in too deep. And Jack isn't only dangerous. He is forbidden.