Skip to main content

something from the archives: chocolate velvet - part 4

i think some of this scene was inspired by a date with my now-husband...





Part 4

Kyle carefully guided a blindfolded Liz forward along the uneven path. He’d had her meet him at his house earlier that evening, where they’d eaten dinner with his dad before setting off. He’d planned the date as a surprise, and so far had been successful at keeping their destination a secret. 

She held on to him, allowing him to lead her, trusting him, trusting his strength implicitly. 

“When will you tell me what this is about?” she asked laughing as she fell against his chest when she stumbled over some tree root or crack for what seemed the millionth time. “I’m starting to think that this is all an elaborate set-up for you to cop a feel.”

“I never. Seems to me that you’re the one feigning this clumsiness to feel me up,” Kyle objected teasingly.

“Me? Why Kyle I do think you’ve caught on to my evil ways.”

“I knew it. All this time it’s you who’s been doing the corrupting in this relationship. I always knew you weren’t as angelic as you looked.”

“Shh. Don’t say it too loud. We don’t want to ruin my reputation.”

“Never. After all, I want to be the only person you ever work your wicked ways on.”

Liz laughed at that, and Kyle paused a moment to look at the inordinate beauty that stood before him catching her as she once more stumbled and holding her close. Her mouth was a breath away from his, and he couldn’t help capturing it in a wild kiss.

Liz was exhilarated by the sheer amount of feelings that rushed through her body at Kyle’s touch. Not being able to see her surroundings or Kyle’s face, she could only sense the heat of his gaze on her and every touch magnified until it was the sole thing she could concentrate upon. When his lips brushed against hers it was with such longing. And their embrace spiraled out of control in a sensory overload.

When they finally separated Liz felt as if her knees would give way. She didn’t think she could walk, let alone stand on her own two feet, “How much longer?” she asked Kyle.

“We’re almost there. Don’t worry.”

They walked for approximately five minutes before Kyle announced that they had arrived. Taking advantage of having to untie the scarf he’d used as a blindfold, Kyle ran his hands through the silken strands of Liz’s hair. 

“Surprise,” he whispered in her ear.

“What is this?” she asked as she took in her surroundings. Her eyes adjusting slowly to the silver glow of dusk. They were at the community park, where an assortment of couples were sitting on picnic blankets in front of a makeshift stage.

“The Roswell Theatrical Society is holding an open air function of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ tonight. I know you liked the play when we read it in English class this year so I thought you might like to see it”

“Oh Kyle, this is the best surprise.”

“You really like it?” he asked uncertainly.

“I love it. Where should we sit?”

“Oh I got that covered,” he said as he led her to a blue and white-checkered blanket with a picnic basket and a bouquet of flowers to one side.

“Oh wow. You did all this?”

“Well, I had some help.”

Liz didn’t say anything. She merely smiled into Kyle’s eyes and brushed her lips against his, “Thank you for this. This is amazing.”

“You’re welcome.”

They sat down on the blanket and enjoyed the show.


Liz and I watch the sunrise together. Over the last two months on the run, it’s become something of a ritual between the two of us. 

But today it feels like there is hope in the light that slowly infuses the night sky. The stars dissipate in the sun’s morning glow and I wonder if we’ll finally be free of all that’s otherworldly.

I’m afraid though. Afraid that when push comes to shove, Liz will once again choose Max Evans. 

I realize that this is the moment. The last time I was ever in this position I was drunk and foolish and didn’t even bother fighting for what I wanted most. This time I have to make it count.

Only I don’t know how.

We’ve been sitting here in silence since she revealed that the symptoms to her change returned. The crackling continues to make her shudder every five minutes or so. She must be agitated.

It’s only the breathing exercises I learned for meditation that keeps me from becoming the spark plug she is. I haven’t told anyone yet but I feel the changes too. It’s like a tingling in my extremities, if it weren’t for the fact that I’ve seen Liz go through this, I’d think I was going numb.

But it’s the opposite of numb. This change that affects us. It makes us feel far too much.

She shivers once more before turning to me, “They’ll be up soon.”

“I know.”

“Do you have any idea what we should say?”

“I was thinking that we should just stick to facts. One, we need to separate. As a group, we’re too big, too recognizable, and too easy to track. Two, it’s best if we do it in groups of two. We should also have an emergency notification system. Just in case anyone of us runs into trouble. And three, that the groups should be Michael and Maria, Isabel and Max, and you and me.”

“Just like that?”

“Well, I’m sure it won’t go over well. But the rest is up to you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Liz, I’m not going to fight this battle for you. I want to be with you. You know how much. But if you want this to come to pass, you’ll have to fight for it too.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I’m just so tired. The last three years have been nothing but drama.”

“I know,” I say. I don’t add “but that was your choice, not mine.” It isn’t the time to cast blame. 

We’re standing at the edge of the parking lot, my arm is around her shoulders, and I’m holding her close to me when we hear footsteps behind us. We look into each other’s eyes wordlessly and turn around. 



It’s time to face the music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

simply catching up on all things general hospital

hmmm, it's been months since i've blogged about gh . partly this is due to the fact that i fell behind while i was traveling. partly because all the outrage lapsed into disinterest when i realized i couldn't bring myself to care anymore and everything that was happening was just so trite and boring. some days i still feel that way. and there are still whole storylines that i either hate or just fast forward through. but there are some good things too. in no particular order, here are my thoughts on the goings-on in port charles: 1. soras [and why re-casting roles works on soaps even if you do miss the original actors]: the new, older versions of sonny's kids are turning out to be quite enjoyable. [although hilariously, cameron whom i believe is older than molly is now younger. and because cameron is so cute, i'm kind of hoping they won't fix that. we also haven't seen spencer in ages, so he may be approaching 50.] in any case, at this point we've only s

genre debate: urban fantasy versus epic fantasy: team epic gets their say

Team Epic: Why I Love Epic Fantasy! Since it's my blog, I'll go first: Epic fantasies take you on quests that take you beyond the limits of what is real. The rules can be different, they are different, and everything just matters more. It's not just one life at stake, it's lives, it's a whole world, a whole way of being. Epic fantasies force you to use your imagination and take you on an adventure to places you never thought possible, but as different as everything feels, there are still things that are always real, no matter how you write it. Keep reading to see what a handful of Entangled TEEN authors think about epic fantasies: Erica Cameron - Island of Exiles (The Ryogan Chronicles, #1): Why do I love epic fantasy? It's a blank slate. We can erase all of our preconceived notions of society and law and even science, throwing all of that over the side of a cliff. Epic fantasy lets us push humanity well past the breaking point with ever

simply a preview of the forbidden by jodi ellen malpas

Releasing on August 8, 2017, read on for more information about The Forbidden , including an excerpt and giveaway! Synopsis What do you do when you can't control your feelings for someone? When you know you shouldn't go there? Not even in your head.  Annie has never experienced the 'spark' with a guy-the kind of instant chemistry that steals your breath and blindsides you completely. Until a night out with friends brings her face to face with the wickedly sexy and mysterious Jack. It's not just a spark that ignites between them. It's an explosion. Jack promises to consume Annie, and he fully delivers on that promise. Overwhelmed by the intensity of their one night together, Annie slips out of their hotel room. She is certain that a man who's had such a powerful impact on her and who could bend her to his will so easily, must be dangerous. But she's already in too deep. And Jack isn't only dangerous. He is forbidden.