Skip to main content

something from the archives: chocolate velvet - part 10

so i can't remember if i mentioned this earlier, but this fic was actually unfinished. so part 7 was the last of the original content i had. everything from part 8 on is new material.

it's a little nerve-wracking to admit this, because i'm going to have to own my choppy writing as something new and not something old, but what can be done. maybe i can say i'm matching what came before on the page?

anyway, happy thanksgiving! read on after the jump...





Part 10



When I see Isabel standing in front of me while I sit at my kitchen table I realize I’m dreaming. “What’s up princess?” I ask. “You and Max doing okay?”

She sits down next to me and sighs, “We’re okay. I’m worried about Max. But I have a sense that things are going well for you and Liz.”

I nod, “We’re doing well, Iz. We’re making a life for ourselves here. Liz has a job, and I do too. It feels like we can breathe for the first time in a long time.”

Isabel nods. She tries to smile but I can see the strain and I know that things are not going so easily for her. She and I became close this past year, if I weren’t still in love with Liz, I would have easily fallen for her. Something that would have been equally impossible given her relationship with Jesse.

“Talk to me, Iz,” I demand.

“There’s nothing to say, Kyle. I promised Max I’d check in, and I can see you guys are doing well.”

I look at her intently and sigh, “Promise me,” I plead. “Don’t try to manage this all on your own. We are here for you, even with the distance. Let me help. Let us help.”

She reaches over and gives me a hug. Even in the dream state I feel the warmth of her arms around me. “Love you, I promise.”

“Love you too, Iz.” And then I startle awake into a sitting position, the dream-walk over.

Liz rubs my back in concern, “Is everything ok, babe?”

I rub my hands over my face. The truth is I’m not sure. I’m unsettled by Isabel’s visit, but she promised she would let me know if she needed me. I don’t want Liz to worry, so I just say, “Yeah, sorry it was an intense dream.”

I hope that I’m making the right choice, that keeping this from Liz won’t bite me in the ass. But worrying about Max isn’t something I’m interested in watching her do. So I need to handle this my way. And simply hope for the best.

Kyle watched as Liz shivered with green electricity. He knows this has something to do with the aliens. These people who’ve become his crew, who he has helped protect, who have betrayed and hurt him in ways he never thought he’d survive, but who have also made him stronger and given him the opportunity to experience things he never thought possible.

But this change was unwanted. And if it’s happening to Liz, it’s only a matter of time before it happens to him. 

Liz, the girl of his dreams, the one he’s loved forever it feels like, she’s changing and so will he.   

They are planning to leave. The government, law enforcement, everyone is too interested in their little crew. Too close to learning the whole truth. Max, Isabel and Michael are in danger, but so are Liz and Kyle. And they will need to leave everything they know behind in order to keep their families safe.

Kyle has to make a choice, but it’s one he’s never wanted. Leaving his father behind, the one person left of his family, feels like a betrayal. But he can’t walk away from Liz. He can’t walk away from the aliens. If he stays, danger will find him, and he should be with people who understand.

“Are you coming?” Liz and Isabel are both giving him hopeful glances. 

There is only one answer to give. 

“Yes.”  

Liz walks in the door late, she was stuck doing a late shift at the diner, but the side benefit is that she’s brought home dinner. “Hey babe, I’m home.”

I’d been hanging up some artwork Liz had found at a farmer’s market in the bedroom, so come out to greet her. “Smells good, what did you bring?”

“They made some spicy chicken stir fry, and I grabbed some extra sriracha sauce.”

“Sounds delicious.” One of the side effects of our altered DNA is that we share the love of spicy with our alien friends. There’s a local restaurant that runs a Deadly Pepper night, and I’ve been trying to convince Liz that we’d outlast anyone with our ability to tolerate heat. She thinks it might be cheating though.

We’re still trying to keep a low profile, while becoming a part of the community. It’s a tough balance. One thing we need to decide is if we’re going to try and pursue any college credits. I think I’m just going to continue to get my certifications as a mechanic, but I know Liz always aspired to be a doctor, and I’m willing to support her in any way she needs.

“Iz?”

“I tried, Kyle. I’m so sorry.” Isabel is in tears seated across the table from me.

“What’s going on?” I ask her, worried because Isabel isn’t one to lose her composure like this. Whatever is happening is bad. And I have a strong feeling it’s about Max.

“Max won’t let go of her. He refuses to accept that it’s over. He says they are meant to get married and live the happy ever after. That I can have you if I want.” Her face falling into her hands, Isabel doesn’t meet my gaze.

“He’s coming here?” I ask gently. I might be angry if I didn’t find this turn of events so easy to believe.

“Yes. I just wanted to warn you. Maybe you and Liz can go somewhere?”

I focus on Liz, who is outside of Izzy’s dreamscape but has deduced that someone is communicating with me. We’ve been happy here. Confronting Max might be the exact thing we need to face as a couple in order to determine our future together. I look back at Izzy and say, “It’s okay, we’ll be here, and we can deal with this. Are you okay?”

She nods, “Yeah, Michael is coming to pick me up. He and Maria need a buffer.”

I’m relieved to know that she will not be alone. Michael and Maria are too intense and emotional to do well by themselves anyway. We should have known from the get-go that our plan would fall apart quickly. We’ve barely been apart a month.

“Are they okay?” I ask, because I know Liz will want an update. Isabel shrugs.

“They’re alive, but I think they’re off again.”
This doesn’t surprise me. “I’ll keep you posted.”

Isabel lights up when I say this, “You can?” she asks because until now she’s been the only person able to dreamwalk consistently. But I know I can reach her. No matter what happens after all this, Isabel and I have a special connection. I reach out and clasp her hand and she tightens hers in response. Looking up at me with wonder in her eyes, “You can.” She whispers and her toothy smile makes my heart ache.


With a glimmer she fades out of sight and I turn my focus to the very worried woman beside me. “Soooo…” I begin and she sighs and listens to the latest in alien problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

simply catching up on all things general hospital

hmmm, it's been months since i've blogged about gh . partly this is due to the fact that i fell behind while i was traveling. partly because all the outrage lapsed into disinterest when i realized i couldn't bring myself to care anymore and everything that was happening was just so trite and boring. some days i still feel that way. and there are still whole storylines that i either hate or just fast forward through. but there are some good things too. in no particular order, here are my thoughts on the goings-on in port charles: 1. soras [and why re-casting roles works on soaps even if you do miss the original actors]: the new, older versions of sonny's kids are turning out to be quite enjoyable. [although hilariously, cameron whom i believe is older than molly is now younger. and because cameron is so cute, i'm kind of hoping they won't fix that. we also haven't seen spencer in ages, so he may be approaching 50.] in any case, at this point we've only s

genre debate: urban fantasy versus epic fantasy: team epic gets their say

Team Epic: Why I Love Epic Fantasy! Since it's my blog, I'll go first: Epic fantasies take you on quests that take you beyond the limits of what is real. The rules can be different, they are different, and everything just matters more. It's not just one life at stake, it's lives, it's a whole world, a whole way of being. Epic fantasies force you to use your imagination and take you on an adventure to places you never thought possible, but as different as everything feels, there are still things that are always real, no matter how you write it. Keep reading to see what a handful of Entangled TEEN authors think about epic fantasies: Erica Cameron - Island of Exiles (The Ryogan Chronicles, #1): Why do I love epic fantasy? It's a blank slate. We can erase all of our preconceived notions of society and law and even science, throwing all of that over the side of a cliff. Epic fantasy lets us push humanity well past the breaking point with ever

simply a preview of the forbidden by jodi ellen malpas

Releasing on August 8, 2017, read on for more information about The Forbidden , including an excerpt and giveaway! Synopsis What do you do when you can't control your feelings for someone? When you know you shouldn't go there? Not even in your head.  Annie has never experienced the 'spark' with a guy-the kind of instant chemistry that steals your breath and blindsides you completely. Until a night out with friends brings her face to face with the wickedly sexy and mysterious Jack. It's not just a spark that ignites between them. It's an explosion. Jack promises to consume Annie, and he fully delivers on that promise. Overwhelmed by the intensity of their one night together, Annie slips out of their hotel room. She is certain that a man who's had such a powerful impact on her and who could bend her to his will so easily, must be dangerous. But she's already in too deep. And Jack isn't only dangerous. He is forbidden.